Losing my wedding ring at GMTV

Artists Impression

Artist's Impression

If you watch GMTV tomorrow morning, you may note I’m not wearing my wedding ring, and have slightly red-rimmed eyes.

Yesterday was a mega filming morning at GMTV to do the Money Makeover special. Yet in the midst of that kerfuffle and a huge range of slots, at 11.45 I looked down and felt my heart sink, as I realised my ring was missing.

Now I never take the ring off, ever, and it’s far too tight to fall off.

In my despair I told the lovely producer Camille (whose wedding anniversary it turned out to be) she distinctly remembered seeing it on my hand during the Tues live show, so I knew there was no chance it was at home. Then I had the instinctive memory of fiddling with it earlier in the day, but where and when I couldn’t remember.

Worse still, as the Lorraine element of GMTV is sometimes recorded and this week was one of those, I only had about ten minutes before I was back on air – so Camille volunteered “you focus on your work – I’ll look for the ring”, and quickly mobilised a few people to help out and send an email round.

Then I had to go on and record deals of the week – if you watch it tomorrow you’ll see I wasn’t exactly on form – I was more than a little distracted by the thought of how to tell Mrs MSE the ring had gone.

Then it was back to the hunt. The folk at GMTV were fantastic; I’d never realised the emotion of losing such an important sentimental item before. Thankfully some bright spark had the idea of checking the tapes back; I’d done Tuesdays programme live and recorded slots for Wed before realising I lost the ring. It turned out I had it on during Tues show, but not in the Wed recording.

That was a massive help for narrowing down where it could be – so with the kind help of two more of the GMTV team I retraced my steps and started the hunt – focusing straight away on the internal ITV Starbucks (much cheaper than the real thing) where I normally go to work between slots – and there it was sitting on the table – after a brief group hug I literally breathed a sigh of relief.

Then it came back to me, I’d been so tired after a succession of early mornings and late nights that rather than my usual work focus, I’d taken five minutes to have a breather and been playing with the ring there. Quite simply I’d taken it off, laid it on the table – then got a call to come back to the studio and in my rush just left it.

It’s now firmly back on my finger… and never coming off again (I hope).

Comment and Discuss.